Tuesday 1 November 2011

A message to the new Apple CEO - a humble plea

Dear Mr. Cook,

I'm a Apple consumer and fan. Since Steve Job's death two things bother me:

1. In the keynote you addressed - you mentioned that the overall market share for Apple's iPhone is just 5% and there is a huge scope to grow.
What do we make of this statement. Steve Jobs never ran after market share. He created markets and let consumers come to him.
Does this mean, you are going to run after market share and in the process stop innovating and let the service levels fall?

2. I pre-ordered Steve Jobs Biography from the app store. On the day, when it was due to download, I had loads of problems. Finally, it loads but the front page ironically wouldn't load where Steve Job's photo was on.
After 2 days, I get an email from Apple explaining me to delete the book, logout and login and then re-load it. I did and it worked and I thought it was a one-off glitch and would never happen again.
(incidentally, it never happened in the past) But I was willing to give Apple the benefit of doubt.
Yesterday, after I tried to download The Spectator Magazine again (I had lost it because I had upgraded to iOS 5. Again, losing one's data when upgrading software never happend in the past). While downloading The Spectator, it gave errors atleast 6 times. I tried 30 minutes later and then it finally worked.

What worries me is, will Apple go downhill from here???? both in terms of product innovation and service levels?

Contrary to what some people who have never used Apple products say, I can vouch that using these products has changed my life not just in terms of efficiency or security but in every possible sense.

Please do something before the culture is changed for ever.

I hope Steve Jobs has put in place the systems needed to sustain the high level of innovation and service. Being the immediate CEO after Steve Job's passing away, it is your responsibility to make sure that the culture of innovation and service and the resulting pipeline of products is maintained. Your first responsibility is towards your consumers and not towards market-share or share-holders. If you can keep hold of the existing customers, rest will take care of itself. The only way you can keep hold of them is by continuous product innovation and high-quality service.

Regards,

Pradeep Kabra

No comments: